What is Be Rooted?
‘Be Rooted’ is the name of our project that encourages discipleship between men, with a particular vision to see young men between the ages of 11-18 rooted in Jesus Christ. This is taken from Colossians 2:6-7 where Paul encourages the Church in Colosse that “as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, being rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.” This means that we desire to see young men have a strong foundation in God, knowing him personally and growing in all aspects of their faith.
Why Be Rooted?
1. It is firmly biblical to establish a system of discipleship. Jesus is the ultimate example who we look to and he discipled; he spent time with his disciples and invested into their lives. All too often we see a lot of young men disappear from the church as sadly they have never built relationships with both people their age and also those older than themselves. Discipleship is a key way of helping people to grow in the faith and to look out for them to ensure that they are sticking to the right path. It is also important that young men feel they have somebody they can share their problems and struggles with and Be Rooted can help to facilitate this.
2. The young men of the church play a pivotal role in the future of the church. We want to see a generation of young men that love God with all their hearts and desire to serve him and him only.
3. We have also noticed that the transition from primary school to secondary school is a pivotal part in young men’s lives. This can be the age where young men become uninterested by church. We want to especially target this age group to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible.
How does is work?
There is a team of older males helping to lead the project. The project runs through the existing programmes at New Life for the young people. Be Rooted takes a Powerhouse every four weeks and Powerzone on a regular basis where we spend time with all the young men. In these sessions, the leaders build relationships with those young men, helping to get alongside them and to generally look out for them.
Be Rooted also holds special events, with a mix of sports and entertainment with a time of teaching and growing in the faith (watch out for more details…).
What can YOU do to be involved??
- If you have a son between the ages of 11-18, encourage them to come to the meetings that Be Rooted put on including the special events to come.
- Pray for both the leaders/mentors and for the young men of our church.
- Look out for more details of upcoming events that are being put on.
- Talk to the leaders, find out more and generally support us.